Welcome to gvz-sucks.com, the primary internet resource for following Greg Van Zant, the worst coach in Division-I baseball.
Don't let this happen to you: Anon2012Player says,
"When I was recruited to WVU, I saw your website but I didn't listen. I really wish I had."
Latest news (yes, even after GVZ has been gone):
- Recent submission (Jan 2015): "When you read about good and great coaches, it's always mentioned how they never insult or embarrass their players in public. Greg was the opposite of that. He always went out of his way to shove his arrogance and ego down the kids' throats. All along, he was the embarrassment."
- Many have asked, some have answered: Greg is apparently a junior college umpire now. (via photos from Twitter)
- An email from "1996 Player" says "[Greg] managed to take 14 years of me loving a sport and destroy it in a matter of months...something I still haven't recovered from as I barely follow the sport anymore."
- WVU beats Oklahoma (#10 ranked) two of three games, May 5. In response, twitter fans still talking about Greg: Worst Coach Ever and Suggested DA Headline.
- A recent parody post was added on Twitter. (April 1, 2013) Obviously, people still hate Greg.
2012 and prior:
- Greg Van Zant is done at WVU.
- WVU finishes the season at 23-32.
- GVZ finishes the 2012 season with a 14-14 non-conference record. Manhattan and Akron are six of those wins. This is how a coach can easily rack up 500 career wins to go along with 450 career losses.
- In 11-9 loss to Seton Hall, WVU allowed a player to score from first on a wild pitch. The Big 12 schools aren't exactly afraid to play WVU in 2013.
- Coppin State game rained out. A sure win for GVZ? Coppin State was 0-38. Really.
- WVU gets only three hits (none after the fourth inning) and issues 8 walks in loss to Maryland. No pitching coach. No hitting coach. All Greg Van Zant.
- Lots of Reader Contributions have been coming in lately.
- What GVZ faces in the Big 12.
- WVU takes two of three from Villanova; the one loss was 26-11, which included a 17-run inning by Villanova. WVU allowed nine consecutive men to reach base without getting anyone out, twice in the same inning. WVU news sources don't print any of this information (including the 17-run inning).
- The untimely and tortured tale of GVZ's season.
- Lost to 13-11 Morehead State. Who?
- Swept by UConn in Big East opening series. WVU Baseball now has 10 losses in their last 11 conference games.
- Is there any player or former player who doesn't hate GVZ? Twitter is filled with former players making fun of GVZ's bunt strategy, or even the full-time GVZ parody account (actually, two full-time accounts). There's even a Fire Greg Van Zant hashtag. None of this is affiliated with this website.
- Time to fire Greg Van Zant, plain and simple. (More about GVZ requesting the mercy rule.)
- WVU loses the series finale to 1-14 Manhattan.
- WVU beats 1-11 Manhattan in three straight, all one-and two-run games.
- WVU beats 3-11 Eastern Michigan in a squeaker, 2-1.
- Greg Van Zant asks for the mercy rule in recent losses.
- Build a new WVU Baseball Stadium? How about firing GVZ instead?
In a nutshell:
- If you have a choice to play for any other coach, play for any other coach.
- Looking for WVU Baseball in the top 25 rankings? You won't find them there. Looking for an NCAA appearance? Only in GVZ's first year as coach. His RPI is consistently around 100. Don't let his 30-win seasons against a cupcake schedule fool you. Only two quality wins in the past two years.
- Check out the reader contributions page, where comments have been rolling in for years. This website is not a fluke, nor is GVZ's career, his attitude toward baseball strategy, or his attitude toward his players. He has been hated for a long, long time.